Restore Your Shine At Your Downtown Toronto Dentist
Sometimes all it takes to feel more confident is a whiter, brighter smile. We can brighten discoloured, stained, or aging teeth with one of our effective at-home or in-office teeth whitening systems.
There is no way to completely prevent your teeth from getting stained, however we can remove the stains that do appear safely and quickly. Request an appointment at our Yorkville dental clinic to get started today.
Why Teeth Whitening?
Considering teeth whitening? Whether you want to look your best for a wedding or improve your confidence in daily life, there are plenty of great reasons to see your Toronto downtown dentist for professional teeth whitening. Below are just a few of the benefits of the teeth whitening services we offer.
A strong oral-health routine can help keep your teeth clean, but it isn’t always enough to keep them as white as you might like. Although the abrasion from brushing is capable of removing surface stains from your teeth, the only way to remove stains deeply embedded in the dentin – the hard matter near the core of a tooth – is through teeth whitening.
Bear in mind that each set of teeth is different, and different teeth react differently to teeth whitening procedures depending on their dental history and whitening regime.
- Feel more confident about your appearance. Whether you’re at a job interview, on a date, or reuniting with an old friend, a great smile makes a memorable impression.
- Encourage and maintain better oral hygiene. When your teeth shine brighter, you’re more likely to put in the effort to keep them pearly white.
- Light up a room with your smile. People notice a beautiful set of teeth, and with your new smile you’ll be proud to show them off.
How Teeth Whitening Works
There are two main ways to achieve brighter teeth. Whether you choose an at-home treatment or get your teeth whitened at the dentist’s office, they will either be whitened with a bleaching or non-bleaching procedure. Typically, the in-office procedures tend to deliver more noticeable results faster than other methods without sacrificing safety.
These dental whitening procedures actually alter the natural colouring of your teeth. Bleaching teeth whitening procedures can be quite effective, often whitening anywhere between 5 to 7 shades. Bleaching procedures are available in both chairside (at your dentist’s office) and at-home formats.
Bleaching is effective thanks to an active ingredient, often either carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide, which is present in concentrations between 10% and 22%. In such concentrations, these active ingredients help remove stains which brushing can’t reach. The cost for teeth bleaching depends on which type of whitening procedure you choose. The main types are:
- Chemically-activated tooth whiteningprocedures like Opalescence Boost, which we use in our Yorkville Dental Clinic, is a potent whitening gel which gets you a brighter smile in just 40 minutes. The Opalescence Boost is made up of 40% hydrogen peroxide gel which we activate chemically. We activate the hydrogen peroxide formula just before applying it using a custom double syringe. Since we mix the formula just before application, we can be sure every application is fresh and effective.
- Light-activated teeth whiteningis another common in-office, chairside treatment available on the market. Light-activated teeth whitening is effective in showing results after a single session. Despite the fast results, stains will begin to appear again after the teeth face prolonged exposure to food and drink.
- For in-home teeth whiteninga person receives a custom tray made by their dentist to fit over the teeth precisely. People who choose this option are sent home with the thin plastic tray and some teeth whitening formula along with instructions on how often to apply it.
- Over-the-counter teeth whiteningtreatments are the least expensive but can take longer to show results. These teeth whitening procedures can involve anything from a tray which is inserted onto the teeth to a brush-on formula which whitens teeth.
Teeth Whitening Without Bleaching
Similar to teeth whitening through bleaching, non-bleaching treatments can get their effectiveness from chemical action often combined with physical friction (ie. brushing). Regular, non-whitening toothpaste works partly through abrasion. The friction between the bristles of your toothbrush and the surface of your teeth remove excess particles from your teeth. Whitening toothpaste takes advantage of this motion to be effective. Whitening toothpaste contains certain chemicals or polishing agents which accentuate the stain-removing effects of brushing to remove even more stains from your teeth.
Want some guidance as to which teeth whitening option is right for you? Schedule a consultation or request an appointment with your Toronto downtown dentist.
Two options for a brighter smile at Dr. Judy Sturm & Associates …
Brighten discoloured, stained, or aging teeth with one of two safe whitening systems we offer and get the same personalized care and attention we provide with regular dentistry services.
You can have natural-looking teeth whitened by up to 8 shades in as little as 40 minutes! Since most people’s teeth have a natural colour somewhere in the range of grey to yellowish, according to the Canadian Dental Association, we’re offering teeth whitening to help people get the smiles they want.
When you choose teeth whitening with our team, your treatment is customized for you depending on your history, expectations, and needs. The quality and efficacy of our teeth whitening kits and procedures set our treatment apart from store-bought products. And our expert team is trusted to provide the supervision and instruction you need to get the smile you want, sooner and safer.
Option #1 – In-office teeth whitening system
The Opalescence Boost teeth whitening treatment we use is the one of the most popular in-office teeth whitening products available. It produces dramatic results and can whiten your teeth by up to 8 shades in just one hour-long session.
The Opalescence treatment is unique because it doesn’t require a hot, uncomfortable UV light to activate the whitening compound in the gel applied to your teeth. Instead of sweating under a bright, abrasive UV lamp, the Opalescence Boost teeth whitening system lets our patients relax while their teeth get whitened. It’s all thanks to a potent 40% hydrogen peroxide whitening gel which is chemically activated before being applied to your teeth.
How it works … The gel works by breaking down and releasing oxygen into the dentin. The oxygen also gets into the enamel, bleaching away stains without negatively affecting the structure of the teeth. After three applications over the course of one visit to our practice, the gel is removed and a five-minute fluoride treatment is administered.
After just one visit, you are left with whiter teeth that give you the confidence you need to smile big.
Option #2 – At-Home Teeth Whitening
We offer professional at-home teeth whitening which you can apply from the comfort of your own home, at your leisure. At your first visit to our office, you will receive custom-made teeth whitening trays that fit perfectly on your teeth. You will spread a special whitening gel in the trays before fitting them over your teeth on the prescribed basis.
The treatment is effective because as the peroxide in the whitening gel breaks down, hydroxy radicals whiten the stains in the dentin of your teeth. Unlike over-the-counter teeth whitening treatments like whitening strips, the custom-fitted tray whitens all of your natural teeth from all sides, not just the front. The ingredients are different from over-the-counter whitening products as well. They are specially selected to provide effective teeth whitening without sacrificing your comfort or safety.
With professional at-home teeth whitening you can expect results in 10 days to two weeks, but you may notice whiter teeth in as little as 3-5 days.
Still not sure which teeth whitening option is right for you? If you’re still looking for advice, schedule an appointment to talk to us about it. Our friendly team will help you make the right decision for your smile.
Yours in excellent dental health,
Dr. Judy Sturm, your Toronto downtown dentist